Sunday, January 22, 2006

Allow me to Introduce Myself...


My name is Vi-O!
Rhymes with an "hola".
Infact my name is Sweaty Frank Viola!

My favorite drink is Jami' and cola!
Used to win accolades by the wheelbarr-ola!

Haha. Did you guys like that? That's just a sampling just exactly how multi-talented I am. It's me, your favorite Minnesota Twin of old...and music critic of now...Sweaty Frank Viola. A.K.A. "Sweet Music" in some circles. Why? Because I have the hot sports opinions on the blazingest (and the hottest) jams around. As well, I'm a lifelong member of the Johnny Utah Symposium. So, check in frequently for my latest reviews of music...new and old. As well, we'll have some other legitimate rantings, ravings, and reviews of music that should help you in all your music perusings.

So, let's get this party started right. Today, I'd like to review (for all you fine folks) two songs...one old and one new.

OLD
My "Sweaty With the Oldies" selection is LITERALLY (NOT EVEN KIDDING) my favorite song of all time: The Thompson Twins' "Hold Me Now". OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS! Has there ever been a better song? This is probably the Walter Johnson of Rock and Roll. This song brings the rock right at your chin and isn't afraid to cry. Just examine the lyrics:

I have a picture
Pinned to my wall
An image of you and of me and we´re laughing
We´re loving it all

But look at our life now
We're tattered and torn
We're fussing and fighting, delighting with tears
That we cry until dawn

Hold me now.
Warm my heart.
Stay with me.
Let loving start.


Sweet sassy molassy! THOSE THOMPSON TWINS REALLY WENT TO THE ROSING BAG WITH THIS ONE (figuratively). Who hasn't been "fussin' and fightin', delightin' with tears"?

As well, this song is, perhaps, the best use of castanets EVER. I bet the Thompson Twins really did need some rosin (or at least some pine tar) to achieve this Charlie Hough-like, expert control. I used to spin this song on my iPod while up on the mound during the 1988 season. You want to add more drop to your breaker? Just pipe some of this sweet synth rock into your ears and you'll have mad RBI Baseball 3 like control! Checks it out!

NEW

Real quick, 'cuz this is already 2 long (that's modern 'net type). My new song is actually a remake of sorts. It's the rap version of The Eagle's "Life in the Fastlane". This song is RAWKING! It's Don Henley's voice ganter-layered over a life, echoing background of hard drums and Joe Walsh's, Glen Frey's and Timothy Schmit's power chords. It's slow and pulsing and haunting as Henley's hammers out:

He was a hardheaded man he was brutally handsome
And she was terminally pretty
She held him up and he held her for ransom
In the heart of the cold, cold city


Man! That's awesome! The Eagles prove that their probably the greatest raptor moniker rock band of all time and if you were to look in their proverbial diaper...you'd see all types of music because they can duke out anything like it was nothing.

That's all for now, folks! I'm going fishing!

Stay tuned! And remember: "ROCK AND ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION!"

-Sweaty Frank Viola

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought I was gonna be the music critcizer.