Wednesday, July 26, 2006

DEREK 360: Stupid Person Time

Hello Readers,

It is time once again for the occasional Johnny Utah feature, "Stupid Person Time".

Today we are going down to the Bermuda area for the tale of a fisherman who got his damn self stabbed while fishing for marlin. Marlin, more specifically blue marlin, can grow to be really huge (like 800lb.) and they have a natural sword shaped protuberance coming out of their foreheads. They are the narwhal of the fish world.

Ian Card, a 32 year old fisherman, was fishing with his father when all of a sudden the fish he had on his hook did its natural fishy thing and jumped out of the water (huh?). It jumped face first right into Ian's chest and stabbed the shit out of him. The force knocked him right out of the boat and into the water.

From here Mr. Card managed to "free himself" from the marlin's tusk/horn/sword/thing and...wait a second here. How do you free yourself? This dude got presumably run through by this fish's nose sword and then he somehow managed to pull the thing out? Did he leverage himself against the side of the boat and push as he watched gallons of his blood paint the water around him. I know this is supposed to be "Stupid Person Time" but this Ian Card dude is kind of a bad ass. If I got run through by a marlin tusk I'd flip out and probably just die. The marlin would carry me under the water and introduce me to the mayor of marlin town. They would show me all the coral-crafted landmarks of their marlin made metropolis. It would be magnificent...wait, what was I talking about?

Ok, back on track here. Ian Card managed to get loose and was treated at a local hospital after a 40 minute boat ride back to shore. He is alive but "very lucky" according to a doctor who treated him.

Ian, you are the subject of "Stupid Person Time" because:
1. You got stabbed by a fish...and that's awesome. Wait, no, that's stupid.
2. You got away from your marlin assailant and in doing so flushed your ticket to marlin town down the toilet.

In honor of you, Ian, I created a cautionary poster for future fisherdudes to learn from. I used fellow Johnny founding dad dude, Andrew, as the subject of this poster because if there is one guy I know who could get stabbed by a fish it's him.


I think this post might suck.
-Derek

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way, I'm pretty sure the guy wasn't fly fishing ... just a minor detail. I'll pretend the flies are specks of blood.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, blue marlin will KILL you.

I knew this one guy. His name was Thornton. He was fishing in the Mississippi when a big blue marlin came flying out of the water and just slayed him. Turned a strong and brilliant man into a pile of meat.

I miss you Thornton...

Anonymous said...

"An Alligator Gar killed my dad". That is laugh-out-loud funny. Even when it's true...as it has been on so many occasions for so many different people.

Fucking alligator gar...

Anonymous said...

When my mother was a wee girl, her family had an alligator gar in a fish tank. They put it outside one winter and the tank froze completely over, alligator gar and everything. Seriously...Han Solo shit.

Anyway, when the spring time came, the fish tank thawed and what happened?! That's right that bad ass gar started swimming again and kicking ass.

True story. I swear.

Man, alligator gar kick some serious ass.

That's why my nickname is "The Gator".

X. Dell said...

You're right. This Card fellow does seem to be a real badass.

Hope he doesn't read your blog.