Sunday, February 12, 2006

Brokeback to the Basics

Let's get this straight. The movie was fine. A career-defining moment for the director and many of the actors involved. I personally enjoyed watching it. It was well-filmed and rightfully placed in many crtitics' 2005 top ten lists. But please, citizens of the world (and non-JUhS members everywhere), let's not get carried away. It's a movie about two gay cowboys. Respectfully portrayed, a wonderful love story, but ... two gay cowboys. Nothing to write home about, really. It's as if the population has been reduced to snickering pre-teens. Most of us have seen the faux-trailer Brokeback to the Future. Slightly more than mildly amusing, I must admit. But please, I beseech all social editorializers, let this end where it began. There's nothing ahead of us that can't easily be predicted, if we take but a moment. I submit to you a list of what may well be referenced in future Brokeback Mountain parodies. This list will, well ... suck. I present it as a warning. The way I see it, if it's recorded here, it can no longer be an original thought. Feel free to add your ideas to the comment area. It will be for the greater good.

1) Brokeback in the Saddle Again
2) Brokeback that Ass Up
3) Brokeback in the Day (When I Was Young, I'm Not a Kid Anymore, But Somedays, I Sit and Wish I Was a Kid Again...)
4) Brokeback to Back to Back National Champions
5) Brokebackslider!
6) Brokeback Spasms
7) Brokeback to School Sale
8) Brokebackwater Hick
9) Broke-little-black-back Pack
10) Brokeback in the U.S.S.R.


-Andrew
[Proud JUhS member since 2006!]

p.s. - As a follow-up comment to the latest "Through the Aperture of Andy", let it be known that I have never seen Grey's Anatomy. But my girlfriend has, and she loves it. Therefore, his editorial must be correct in all aspects (based solely on this one example, of course). Thank you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brokebaccarach tickles me a little.

Anonymous said...

...then reminds me it sucks.

Anonymous said...

Brokebackiotomy?

Great work here Andrew. You covered all the brokeback bases and even threw in a reference to a one hit wonder band from the beginning of the decade (Stroke 9). We could explore things with the word "broke" though. Like:

Stockbrokebackers

Or we could do ourselves a favor and simply refer to your list as the be all end all Brokeback parody list. All lists that follow are null and void.

Anonymous said...

Several things:
1.) I love stroke 9, still... its my dirty little secret.
2.) Top Gun 2: Brokeback Squadron is equally entertaining.
3.) Did you boys ever actually see the movie? And how did oyu pull it off? Just the three of you or did you manage to get some girls to go with you?

Anonymous said...

Several things:
1.) I love stroke 9, still... its my dirty little secret.
2.) Top Gun 2: Brokeback Squadron is equally entertaining.
3.) Did you boys ever actually see the movie? And how did oyu pull it off? Just the three of you or did you manage to get some girls to go with you?

Anonymous said...

Brokebacking shall be punished by death, as shall be double-posting.